- The”Harry Potter” films will not be accessible to stream WarnerMedia’s HBO Max at start, despite being theatrically distributed by Warner Bros.
- NBCUniversal still owns the electronic and TV distribution rights to eight”Harry Potter” films and the spin-off”Fantastic Beasts” films.
- HBO Max’s content leader, Kevin Reilly, stated on Wednesday during a Television Critics Association panel that”talks will continue ” concerning the”Harry Potter” streaming rights.
- NBCUniversal is launch its streaming assistance, Peacock, in April and the company is expected to show additional information about it on Thursday.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Individuals anticipating the”Harry Potter” films to be about WarnerMedia’s forthcoming streaming support, HBO Max, might need to wait a bit longer — at the least.
The films had been theatrically distributed by the WarnerMedia-owned studio Warner Bros., but business executives confirmed during a Television Critics Association panel on Wednesday the TV and electronic rights to the films nevertheless belong to NBCUniversal. They aren’t streaming everywhere.
The deal, which was struck in 2016 and took effect in 2018, supposed that NBCUniversal could broadcast the eight”Harry Potter” movies and the spin-off”Fantastic Beasts” films on its own networks such as USA and Syfy.
The first deal was 2025, however, HBO Max’s content leader, Kevin Reilly, suggested on Wednesday that WarnerMedia is seeking to snag those rights back .
“Those talks will continue ,” Reilly said. “At some time, you can not have our expertise with no Harry Potter be part of it”
NBCUniversal business is also gearing up to start its own streaming service, Peacock, also is expected to show additional information about it on Thursday. It is assumed that while NBCUniversal possesses the electronic and TV rights to the films, it is going to make them accessible on Peacock.
Peacock is set to start in April, whereas HBO Max starts in May for $15 a month, the exact same cost as HBO’s standalone streaming alternative, HBO Currently. HBO Max will comprise content across WarnerMedia’s library, including HBO, Warner Bros., DC Universe, TBS, Cartoon Network, and much more.