Mike Bloomberg is gaining floor within the 2020 presidential race, however his efficiency up to now has been bumpy, to say the least, Right here’s what you must know concerning the former NYC mayor and his platform.
Former New York Metropolis Mayor Michael Bloomberg, 78, entered an already crowded presidential race in November 2019, months (and years) after his colleagues. His identify recognition and $64 billion wealth, which he’s utilizing to self-fund his marketing campaign, gained him immediate press protection through the election circle, regardless of not qualifying for any of the debates up to now. Whereas some might know him now because the politician who Senator Elizabeth Warren destroyed on the Las Vegas debate as a “sexist” and “smug billionaire,” Bloomberg has an extended historical past within the political world. Right here’s what you must know concerning the enterprise mogul and former mayor:
1. He served three phrases because the mayor of New York Metropolis. Bloomberg grew to become the mayor of NYC in 2002 as a Republican, following the top of Rudy Giuliani‘s time period. He was re-elected in November 2005, and in 2008, introduced that he could be looking for to increase town’s time period restrict legal guidelines to run for a 3rd time. He was re-elected in 2009, and left workplace in 2013, when Invoice de Blasio (one other 2020 presidential candidate) took over. As mayor, Bloomberg advocated for public schooling reform and rebuilding town’s financial system after the September 11 terror assaults. Nonetheless, he additionally expanded the controversial “cease and frisk” program that adopted him all through the remainder of his profession. Extra on that under.
2. He owns a billion greenback company that features Bloomberg Information. Earlier than coming into politics, Bloomberg was a profitable Wall Road Funding banker, later operating a enterprise that made laptop terminals to ship market information to monetary corporations. His firm expanded into Bloomberg Information, Bloomberg Radio, Bloomberg Message, and Bloomberg Tradebook. When coming into the 2020 presidential race, he vowed that Bloomberg Information wouldn’t cowl his marketing campaign with bias.
3. He was intensely criticized for increasing “cease and frisk” in NYC, a coverage that largely focused POC. Cease and Frisk was an NYPD follow of briefly detaining, questioning, and typically looking civilians on the road for weapons. Between 2003 and 2013, 100,000 stops had been made per yr. On the peak of this system, in 2011, 685,000 folks had been stopped by police. Stop and Frisk was criticized as racial profiling, because the overwhelming majority of these stopped (90%) had been black and latino, largely between the ages of 14 to 24. And, 70% of these stopped had been later discovered harmless. After Bloomberg introduced his presidential marketing campaign, the politician was criticized for a 2015 interview on the Aspen Institute during which he defended Cease and Frisk.
In audio from the event, he may be heard saying, “95% of your murders and murderers and homicide victims match one M.O. You’ll be able to simply take the outline and Xerox it and go it out to all of the cops. They’re male minorities 15 to 25… Individuals say, ‘Oh my God, you might be arresting children for marijuana who’re all minorities.’ Sure, that’s true. Why? As a result of we put all of the cops within the minority neighborhoods. Sure, that’s true. Why’d we do it? As a result of that’s the place all of the crime is. And the best way you must get the weapons out of the children’ fingers is throw them towards the wall and frisk them.”
He acknowledged it in a February 2020 assertion: “I ought to’ve [apologized] quicker and sooner. I remorse that and I’ve apologized — and I’ve taken duty for taking too lengthy to grasp the influence it had on Black and Latino communities. This challenge and my feedback about it don’t replicate my dedication to legal justice reform and racial fairness.”
4. He was accused of constructing misogynistic feedback to feminine workers. Bloomberg is stricken by accusations of alleged sexist conduct reaching again a long time. Previous to a male colleague’s marriage ceremony within the 1990s, Bloomberg allegedly informed feminine workers that they need to “line as much as give him a blow job as a marriage current,” in accordance with CNN. He would allegedly say sexist issues about ladies at his workplace, like “have a look at that good piece of ass,” and allegedly informed a lady who introduced her being pregnant that she ought to “kill it.” Bloomberg has denied the “kill it” remark and different remarks lined out in two lawsuits.
Senator Warren referred to as for him to launch ladies from NDAs they signed whereas working for his company. Bloomberg Marketing campaign chair Patricia Harris stated in an announcement to CNN, “In any giant group, there are going to be complaints — however Mike has by no means tolerated any form of discrimination or harassment, and he’s created cultures which are all about equality and inclusion. Anybody who works onerous and performs properly goes to be rewarded, no matter gender, race, sexual orientation or the rest.”
5. He presidential platforms embrace elevating the federal minimal wage to $15/hour, and “aggressively” combatting the opioid disaster. Bloomberg’s marketing campaign web site really cites 32 issues that he’s working to unravel, with innumerable sub-categories. Notably, he needs to forge a greater pathway towards citizenship for immigrants, and supply everlasting protections for DREAMers. He criticizes Trump’s refusal to acknowledge local weather change, and makes an attempt to repeal the ACA. Not like Sanders and Warren, Bloomberg doesn’t need common healthcare; he needs a “Medicare-like public choice.”
Whether or not you’re supporting Bloomberg in 2020, or one other candidate solely, it’s vital that you simply VOTE. In case you haven’t registered but, you are able to do so utilizing the module under. It’s straightforward!