Netflix Yearly Subscription India Price - Fair Deal Or No Deal?
What could be the Netflix yearly subscription India price this 2023?
The California-based streaming service company continues to attract subscribers despite the stiff competition with Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, HBO Max, and Hulu.
Per TechCrunch, the global paid subscribers of Netflix reached approximately 223.09 million by the third quarter of 2022. That indicated an increase of 2.41 million subscribers since the first quarter of the same year.
Can such information affect the Netflix yearly subscription India price?
Netflix Unveils New Low-Cost Subscription Plan With Ads
COPYRIGHT_BP: Published on https://bingepost.com/netflix-yearly-subscription-india-price/ by Cecilia Jones on 2023-01-11T02:27:35.005Z
Does Netflix exist in India?
Mumbai, one of India’s major financial districts as well as its largest city, serves as the office location of Netflix.
Netflix yearly subscription India price soared as subscribers piled up.
Based on an updated July 2022 article by the Indian magazine Outlook, a certain research company estimated that India had 5.5 million Netflix subscribers.
Under “New Releases” (all 2022 releases), Netflix subscribers in India can tune in to, among others:
- Double XL (comedy)
- Kalagathalaivan (action-adventure)
- Khakee: The Bihar Chapter (crime TV show)
- Love Today (romantic comedy)
- The Teacher (drama-thriller)
As for some of the upcoming 2023 Netflix Originals, they include the following, as provided by the fan site What’s on Netflix:
- Baahubali: Before the Beginning (a TV series based on two Indian novels)
- Choona (heist series; comedy-drama)
- Class (Indian adaptation of Elite, a Netflix Originals from Spain)
- Dabba Cartel (crime-drama)
- For Your Eyes Only and Mission Majnu (spy-thriller)
- Guns & Gulaabs (comedy-thriller)
- Kathal (dramedy)
- The Archies (musical adaptation of Archie Comics, with children/relatives of Indian celebrities as cast members)
- Trial By Fire (based on a true story; about a tragic 1997 incident in India)
According to Indian newspaper The Hindu, the Netflix yearly subscription India price when it was launched in India in 2016 was 6,000 rupees.
That would be 500 rupees per month, which was equivalent to approximately $7.50 back then.
Netflix that time also initially offered subscription plans for 650 rupees and 800 rupees.
In 2016, Netflix targeted to market itself to 200 countries by the end of the said year. Apparently, Netflix penetration in India happened.
India’s nine top-performing OTT platforms are (in alphabetical order):
1. Alt Balaji (India) - 80 million paid subscriptions (as of 2021; per Enterprise Apps Today)
2. Disney+ Hotstar (U.S.) - 61.3 million users (period: July-September 2022; per Business Standard)
3. Eros Now (India)
4. MX Player (India) - 200 million users (as of December 22, 2022; per Enterprise Apps Today)
5. Netflix (U.S.) - 15.5 million monthly users (as of November 2022; per TechCrunch)
6. Prime Video (U.S.) - 28.1 million monthly users (as of November 2022; per TechCrunch)
7. SonyLIV (U.S.) - 32.7 million subscribers; 118 active users per month (as of December 1, 2022; per Enterprise Apps Today)
8. TVF Play (India)
9. Ullu App (India) - over 10 million downloads in Google Play since its 2018 release (approximately 500,000 in December 2022 per Sensor Tower)
10. YouTube (U.S.) - over 520 million monthly active users (per TechCrunch)
Other competitors that may have an effect, one way or another, in the Netflix yearly subscription India price include Aha (India), Discovery+ (U.S.), Viu (China), Voot (India), and ZEE5 (India).
Based on the figures, it would not be so hard to miss the glaring fact that Netflix is falling behind its major competitors. It would be safe to surmise that it’s struggling in India as it competes for subscribers.
With that said, such could make an impact in the company’s pricing of its subscription plans.
As mentioned earlier, back in 2016 (or some six years ago), the highest Netflix subscription price was 800 rupees per month. By December 2022, it didn’t even reach 650 rupees.
Below are the Netflix monthly subscription India prices:
a. Mobile-Only Plan - 149 rupees ($1.83)
- one supported device only
- picture quality: not mentioned
b. Basic - 199 rupees ($2.44)
- one supported device only
- picture quality: HD
c. Standard - 499 rupees ($6.11)
- two supported devices
- picture quality: Full HD (1080p)
d. Premium - 649 rupees ($7.95)
- up to four supported devices
- picture quality: Ultra HD/4K UHD
The Netflix ad-supported plans are not yet available in India.
Now that the monthly pricing has been known, it will be easy to compute for the Netflix yearly subscription India price:
a. Mobile-Only Plan - 1,788 rupees ($21.90)
b. Basic - 2,388 rupees ($29.25)
c. Standard - 5,988 rupees ($73.35)
d. Premium - 7,788 rupees ($95.40)
Outlook reported in July 2022 that Netflix reduced its subscription rates up to 60 percent in India, with the lowest cut made at 18 percent.
The move is obvious: to attract more subscribers.
Before this reduction in prices transpired, Netflix increased them earlier last year. The company lost subscribers, which prompted it to offer lower subscription rates.
Despite the Netflix yearly subscription India price made more affordable, at least in the business point of view of the company, tapping the massive Indian market has remained an uphill climb.
India correspondent Soutik Biswas shared in his 2022 BBC article the time when Reed Hastings, Netflix CEO and co-founder, flew to New Delhi for the Global Business Summit (GBS) 2018.
When he addressed the audience at one time, Hastings expressed optimism that India will supply his streaming service company an additional 100 million subscribers.
However, in January 2022, the American billionaire said during an investor call:
The thing that frustrates us is why we haven’t been as successful in India.
- Wilmot Reed Hastings Jr.
Biswas wrote that someone, whom he called a “top industry executive,” told him that even though Netflix worked with Indian producers and creators, they lack experience when it comes to “streaming shows” that’s why the efforts of Netflix and its Indian partners “flopped.”
For New Delhi-based film critic Shubhra Gupta, she thinks many Indians find Netflix to be “an upmarket, expensive service.”
No wonder the Netflix yearly subscription India price went down before 2022 concluded.
If compared to the rates in the U.S. (monthly pricing: $9.99 for Basic; $15.49 for Standard; and $19.99 for Premium), then Netflix is cheaper in India.
In India, one only pays $2.44 for a Basic plan, $6.11 for Standard, and $7.95 for Premium every month.
Yes, you can. According to Netflix, when abroad, subscribers can still access their account “in over 190 countries” across the globe.
Though it’s possible for Netflix India and Netflix USA to offer similar shows, each country has its own list or catalog of shows put together for that particular country only.
The current Netflix yearly subscription India price should persuade more people there to subscribe.
Based on an article published by Inc42 in October 2022, Netflix managed to get a total of 36.23 million paid subscribers. They include those from India.
As the company remains expectant with its Indian market, the revised Netflix yearly subscription India price should work wonders for the company now.