Senators are Permitted to drink milk Throughout the impeachment trial since it was believed to Assist Nausea
- As stated by this impeachment trial rules, senators are just permitted to drink sparkling or still water and milk at the Senate Chamber.
- Milk is permitted because of some 1966 Senate precedent saying that”there is not anything in the rules to forbid the senator from asking a glass of milk”
- Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who’s also a gastroenterologist, told CNN that it is supposed to assist senators with peptic ulcers.
- “There was no medication for peptic ulcer disease so folks could drink milk, and thus that the senators were permitted to drink milk since they had nausea,” he told CNN.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The impeachment trial has strict rules about what meals and beverages senators can eat from the room. The sole drinks allowed are sparkling or still water and milk.
While milk can appear to be a strange exception to the rule, Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who’s also a gastroenterologist, advised CNN which it’s supposed to assist senators with bronchial disorders.
“There was no medication for peptic ulcer disease so folks would consume milk, and thus that the senators were permitted to drink milk since they’d nausea,” he told CNN.
A Senate precedent was put at the 1960therefore permitting the dairy item to the Senate floor.
COPYRIGHT_BP: Published on https://bingepost.com/senators-are-allowed-to-drink-milk-during-the-impeachment-trial-because-it-was-once-believed-to-help-ulcers/9962/ by - on 2020-01-23T03:59:41.000Z
“There is not anything in the rules to forbid the senator from asking a glass of milk,” that the 1966 precedent reads.
While no external foods and beverages are permitted in the Senate Chamber, a few senators are breaking the rules by bringing beef jerky and candy for their desks.
Cassidy told CNN the senators are offered coffee and snacks in the Senate cloakroom, but found that the coffee was not very good quality.
“It is miserable java,” Cassidy told CNN. “You’d wish it onto a Democrat but nobody else.”
“Just joking,” he explained.