Serena Williams said she wanted to punch a wall Following her’unprofessional’ defeat at the next round of the Australian Open
- Serena Williams says she wanted to punch a wall following her departure from the Australian Open on Friday.
- The American was defeated in three sets by Wang Qiang, who advanced to the tournament’s fourth round for first time in her profession.
- “I just need to pretend like I do not need to shake the wall, but in fact I really do,” Williams told reporters.
- Qiang requires on Tunisian Ons Jabeur to get a location at the quarter-finals on Sunday.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The American was defeated 6-4, 6-7, (2-7), 7-5 by Wang Qiang, bringing to an end her pursuit for a record-equaling 24th Grand Slam title.
She now has 23, while Margaret Court is just one beforehand.
Qiang took the first set smoothly in the Rod Laver Arena, and could’ve had the game wrapped up in straight sets had it not been for an motivated turnaround by Williams at match point down at the second.
COPYRIGHT_BP: Published on https://bingepost.com/serena-williams-said-she-wanted-to-punch-a-wall-after-her-unprofessional-defeat-in-the-third-round-of-the-australian-open/10722/ by - on 2020-01-24T12:11:02.000Z
However Qiang was not to be refused a memorable success, breaking Williams’ function in the last game of the final set to procure herself a place in the fourth round for first time in her profession.
Asked if overcome stings like it was used to, Williams told reporters:“I am a much better performer like I always say, today. I am no happier than I had been 10 years past.
“However, I just need to pretend like I do not need to shake the wall, but in fact I really do.”
Describing the operation, she added:”She functioned well, you understand. I didn’t reunite like Serena. Frankly, if we’re only honest with ourselves, then it is all on my shoulders. I lost that game. It’s exactly what it is.
“It isn’t about the championship, it is like that I can not play like this. Like literally I can not do this again. It is unprofessional and it is not cool”
Qiang requires on Ons Jabeur to get a spot in the quarterfinals on Sunday.